Our archives have documents verifying our recognition by the Governors of South Carolina. This is done through several treaties made between South Carolina and the Lower Towns of the Cherokee Nation as far back as the mid 1600's. Our history tells of our people living in the Piedmont region; and they greeted the first Europeans who came ashore in Charlestowne Landing.
This area has always been home to our people. The entire area is a rich reminder of our people's presence, past and present. The Nation was divided into three areas: the Overhills, the Middle, and Lower Settlements. The Cherokees occupied an area from the Seneca River in South Carolina, north into Tennessee, and west into Georgia. The number of towns and villages and their locations varied from time to time, some sixty-four have been identified. The Lower Towns were located in present-day South Carolina west of Greenville along the streams and rivers of what are now Oconee and Pickens counties, and south of Greenville into Laurens county. These towns and villages stretched from west of the Savannah River to present-day Pickens.
One of the main towns was located near the confluence of Brasstown Creek and the Tugaloo River; it was called Nayuhi or The Place of the Sand Bar. A network of paths crisscrossed the region around Greenville. One path ran from White Horse Road west of the city of Greenville, and Buncombe Road to the north. Two, perhaps three major paths crossed Greenville county. The upper path ran northeast across Greenville county originating at Keowee Indian Town in the present-day Oconee county. For some this was a direct route from the mountains to the coast. This was of major importance because of the enormous trade with the coastal tribes. This path followed the approximate route of SC Route 11 east of Pleasant Ridge State Park.